Painting countertops - Is this a good do-it-yourself project?
Countertop painting might be the right approach if you have:
- Lots of time
- Lots of patience
- The right equipment
- Money you can afford to lose
- Low expectations for a smooth and durable countertop surface
Do-it-yourself countertop painting systems have been marketed as a simple, affordable and hassle-free way to transform a worn or damaged laminate countertop. Unfortunately, most do-it- yourself kits lead to disappointing results which often have to be fixed by a professional refinisher.
Painting Countertops – What could go wrong with a DIY kit?
A lot can go wrong when you attempt to paint Formica™ countertops.
The best advice before you attempt kitchen countertop refinishing is:
#1 – read the instructions on the outside AND THE INSIDE of the box and be sure you are prepared to tackle the job.
#2 – Continue reading so that you learn what you REALLY need to know.
What the outside of the box might not tell you…
> Protective gloves
> Protective eyewear
> Protective clothing
> Exhaust fan…for adequate ventilation
> Base and top coats are Combustible….take necessary precautions!
> A NIOSH approved Respirator…a dust mask does NOT protect against vapors!
> Humidity levels between 30% - 70%
> 2- 3 days to do the application
> 7 days before the finish fully cures
What you REALLY need to know…and common DIY kit complaints:
- There is nothing in the kit to repair gouges, burn marks or missing laminate
- Roller and brush application of the base coat is inconsistent and streaky
- Takes more time and hand labor than anticipated
- Choice of only four to five colors
- The application of color chips using a “fertilizer” spreader is inconsistent
- In order for the color chips to properly stick, the base coat must be wet. There is about a 20 minute window to roll the base coat out and still get the chips to stick before the base coat dries and loses its stickiness! Two people are recommended for this application.
- The color chips don’t easily adhere evenly to the vertical surfaces, like the edges and back splash
- If you run out of the base coat or top coat, you'll have to buy another entire kit
- The top coat is not waterproof and may turn cloudy or become discolored from standing water
- Rolling the top coat can easily result in “striping” which leaves an uneven appearance.
- The top coat is soft and scratches easily
- The top coat peels and tears
Ultimately, the promise of a smooth, even finish using a single sanding “tool,” a roller and brush for a base coat, a hand held “fertilizer” type spreader for color chips, a chip scraper and another roller to apply a clear top coat is a lot to ask from the typical DIY homeowner.
Painting Countertops – Why should I hire a professional like Miracle Method?
The keys to a beautiful finish are preparation, using the right materials, and a professional application.
The Miracle Method countertop professional refinishing process includes:
- A two-step cleaning to remove dirt, grease and other contaminants from the surface
- Repair of any damage, burn marks, knife cuts and missing laminate pieces
- Application of a proprietary bonding agent to assure that the new surface will stick
- Use of a color tinted spray applied epoxy primer coat
- Three coats of one of over 30 Natural Accents colors applied using a high tech HVLP sprayer to assure a smooth, even finish
- Three coats of a non-yellowing, waterproof acrylic clear coat in your choice of satin, semi-gloss or gloss
- Final teardown of all masking materials and clean up of the project area
Painting Countertops – Will a professionally refinished countertop look that much better than the results of a DIY kit?
Definitely! The sprayed application will be more even and Miracle Method’s Natural Accent’s colors are more vibrant. You'll not only be able to see the difference, but feel it as well, as our clear coat provides a lightly textured, scratch resistant surface.
Painting Countertops – Will my DIY kit work on Corian®, Silestone®, tile or cultured marble?
The instructions on the major brand countertop refinishing kit only says it “adheres to laminate” surfaces. Miracle Method’s Natural Accents™ process works equally well on all synthetic surfaces like Corian® and Silestone®, as well as on ceramic wall and floor tile, porcelain, cultured marble, fiberglass and acrylic surfaces.
Painting countertops – Replacement vs. refinishing?
Professionally done, Miracle Method’s countertop refinishing can save a homeowner up to 75% over the cost of replacement and truly create a countertop transformation for laminate, tile, Corian® or Silestone surfaces.
Painting countertops - Compare before you decide…get a free estimate!
Click on Find a Location or call our toll free locator number, 1-888-271-7690, to find the Miracle Method office closest to you and request a free estimate. When you have all the facts, then you'll understand the process and why painting countertops is not an easy DIY project.